Problems with services not rendered satisfactorily

  • If the work/service does not meet your requirements, you may demand that the work be executed to your satisfaction.
  • Pay only for the part of the work you are satisfied with. (If you cannot come to an
  • agreement with the service provider, have a knowledgeable person confirm your share of the costs.)
  • If the services/activities have caused you damage, you may claim damages.
  • If the service provider does not complete the agreed work within the contract period you may demand completion within a reasonable time. If not, arrange that someone else completes/does the work and pay the first person for the work he has done.
  • Determine prices in writing, in the form of quotations.